A 50-year-old woman was killed after hitting a wall, carried away by the power of the wind as she crossed a street.


The passage of a powerful typhoon that swept Tokyo during the night from Sunday to Monday left one dead, dozens injured, and caused power outages and very serious disruptions in transport, according to the authorities.

Accompanied by gusts of wind that can exceed 200 km/h, Typhoon Faxai made landfall overnight along the Chiba region, southeast of the capital, after crossing Tokyo Bay. More than 30 people were also injured in the region, including one seriously injured after a golf training structure collapsed and destroyed the roof of his house.

On Monday morning, the authorities still maintained non-compulsory evacuation recommendations for nearly 340,000 people. More than 2,000 have also followed stronger (and not mandatory) guidelines to reach shelters.

Some districts in the capital decided to close schools on Monday due to the dangers of wind, which is expected to remain strong even after the typhoon has passed, resulting in the risk of objects falling. In Tokyo, here and there, bits of shop signs, pieces of roofs or verandas torn off as well as trees, shredded umbrellas or rubbish littered the streets.

On Monday morning, some 900,000 customers were without power in the area served by Tokyo Electric Power (Tepco), mainly in Chiba prefecture, bordering Tokyo.


Quays and rare congested trains

Some damage was also reported on rails, including a tree fall on a line from Tokyo to the southern suburbs towards Yokohama. “We need to inspect the tracks and check for damage,” a spokesman for JR East, the largest company in the Tokyo area, told AFP.

Until midday on Monday, rail transport was very severely disrupted, on a scale rare in the archipelago. The lines usually used by millions of Japanese employees to get to work were completely stopped and the few trains or subway trains running at the beginning of the day were taken over.

Access to the platforms was sometimes deliberately restricted to avoid too dangerous gatherings. It was also difficult to find free taxis. About 100 high-speed trains linking Tokyo to cities in central and western Japan were also cancelled, but service resumed on Monday morning shortly before 8 a.m. Several hundred flights were also cancelled between Sunday and Monday and closed coastal highways west of the capital. Factories, including Nissan and Sony, had to stop production on Monday due to floods or power cuts.